Sunday, January 3, 2010

Name That Poet #5

It's back! Try guessing the poet of this one. I'm giving you the last two stanzas of the five stanza poem.

Thy brother Death came, and cried
Wouldst thou me?
Thy sweet child sleep, the filmy-eyed,
Murmured like a noontide bee,
Shall I nestle by thy side?
Wouldst thou me?--And I replied,
No, not thee!

Death will come when thou art dead,
Soon, too soon--
Sleep will come when thou are fled;
Of neither would I ask the boon
I ask of thee, beloved Night--
Swift be thine approaching flight,
Come soon, soon!

Good luck, all :-)


I guess I will have to give this one up. It is by Shelley and the title is "To Night"
Thank you, ladies for contributing!

2 comments:

Tina said...

I breathed a happy sigh when I saw this in my reader. I'm ashamed to say I didn't know the poet so I looked it up. I know lots of other things by the poet and now this one. Thank you! I won't cheat, but step aside with my ill-gotten knowledge.

Teri K said...

Byron?
It doesn't ring any bells, so I'm taking a stab in the dark.