Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Tis the Season for Inspiration, Reflection and Hope -- One Writer's Message

Writing is most difficult when you're a writer. Sounds contradictory, doesn't it? Well, think of it as examining something under a microscope. You see all the imperfections, each and every detail, whether attractive or unappealing it's there. Writers do much the same thing with their words. They view them with extreme scrutiny, as if "under the microscope". Still, they write, and editing becomes part of their therapy. However, during that process they sometimes stumble, lose faith in their ability, and even consider quitting.

There is value in those experiences. As the saying goes, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. With each success, when writers cross the finish line and type "the end", that's something to remember. In fact, it's something useful to pass along to others who might need some "hope" and "good cheer" to help them survive similar struggles. 

I've had my share of inspiring stories since I started writing. I guess they wouldn't work for everyone, but I'd bet some writers who are reading this will understand what I mean. For instance, there are moments when I've felt encouraged by other writers' good fortune. There's no envy involved to spoil the moment. It's more like their joy is contagious, and I just want to soak it up and share in their happiness. It positively makes me want to grab my laptop and write like a madwoman! I'm a believer. If others can do it, there is hope for us all. 

A few days ago, I attended a holiday party given for our local chapter of SinC. (Sisters in Crime). Each of us took a turn sharing what we've accomplished in our writing. As my sisters spoke, I felt proud of each and every one of them. I'm blessed and honored to be a part of such talent. There were those who announced novels recently published; those with works in progress and who are still waiting to hold that first book with their name on it; those with happy stories, and those with struggles they'd managed to get through, sometimes with the help of fellow authors. I enjoyed hearing all of them. They show courage, perseverance, and tremendous love for writing. What more could I ask for?

So, this holiday season--a time for reflection, hope, and giving--I'm wishing everyone will find inspiration within themselves, share it with others, and enjoy each others' successes. Tis the season, after all. 

Happy Holidays, everyone!



  

No comments: