As a writer you are probably always thinking of great ideas for your next story. Right? No? Well, then here is a list that may help. There are many resources and places you can tap into for that next story. Just remember: There are no original ideas. However, once you find your style, your voice, your unique way of writing, then it is possible to take any idea and make it your own. So, let's take a look at the places you can go to get those ideas:
1. Newspaper articles
2. The television news
3. Personal events
4. Observations -- such as in public places: the mall, a park, a restaurant, etc.
5. Television shows/ Movies
6. The Internet -- google a topic or subject and see what comes up
7. People! -- find them, talk to them, get them to tell stories about their jobs
8. Visuals -- photographs, paintings, billboards, magazine ads, greeting cards
9. Music -- lyrics
10. Personal items -- go through your memorabilia, those keepsake items
11. Bookstores or libraries -- cruise the titles, look at the book covers
13. Websites on writing, of course :-)
14. Dictionaries -- pick a few words at random, use them in a freewrite; then revise into a story
Those are just few. I'm sure you can come up with more. If you would be willing to share, please post a comment.
And of course, as you come up with your ideas add them to an idea journal. Always keep paper and pen with you to jot down your ideas (can't always trust your busy mind to recall them later!)
There are so many ideas around you just waiting to be discovered. So, happy idea hunting to all of you!