Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Name That Novel #17


It's been quite awhile, my dear blogging friends. But now I am back on to bring you more Name That Novel intrigue. So, let's see what you can do with this classic. Title and Author, if you please:

"My father had a small estate in Nottinghamshire; I was the third of five sons. He sent me to Emanual College in Cambridge, at fourteen years old, where I resided three years, and applied myself close to my studies.... I laid them out in learning Navigation, and other parts of the mathematicks...."

Good luck to all!

5 comments:

April said...

The writing style seems extremely familiar to me, though I can't say I've read this particular work. It almost sounds like the Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.

Author and Reader said...

April... you travelled back in time to the right century, but these lines are from a novel. It appeals to both children and adults. :-)

April said...

Would it be Gulliver's Travels by Swift?

Author and Reader said...

Yes! Wonderful job, April :-)

April said...

Well, then, I guess I have read it! No wonder the style was familiar; I wrote my undergrad thesis on Swift. You must have picked a pretty obscure passage!