Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A Penny is Still Just ... a Penny

A penny. Right? Well, it is if you really think about it. Yet, how many of us look at a price tag of $19.99 and think, "Wow, that's a great deal!" But when we see $20.00 it's not the same reaction? I can't explain it. I really don't think that penny is going to buy me much. Not unless I intend to add up the so-called one penny deals over a period of, say, hmm, a year ... and I'd have to purchase, oh, maybe ... now wait, my math skills are a bit rusty ... well, I just know there'd have to be a lot to gain me even one dollar's worth of pennies. 
 

Really, when you think about it, we are "SALES OBSESSED" consumers. When I go to my favorite department store for a shopping spree because there's a thirty percent off coupon in my wallet just screaming at me to go buy that $80.00 pair of shoes I've been dying for, or a really pricey designer dress that's so perfect, except for the price, and even though I do this and I save -- according to the nice lady at the register -- a wopping $300.00, I've just burned, well, it's more than my budget should allow on my credit card. Of course, when I argue with my hubby that I saved $300, he just gives me that eye roll and explains in very rational terms that the bottom line is that I've SPENT $$$ to get that discount. Uh, well, duh?!


And how about when some people will drive to ANOTHER CITY just to find gas at $3.45 rather than go up the street and pay, let's say $3.49? (eh, no ... I truly haven't done that one). If this is a one time thing and it's going out of their way to get it and it's a modest 13 gallon tank in their car ... well, you do the math. 


Soooooo when I look on Amazon this morning and see my Dying to Dream ebook has been discounted from $2.99 to $2.51 I'm wondering, will this mind-set philosophy work? Who knows? A penny is still just a penny, even 48 of them! At least, it's getting closer to buying you that cup of coffee :-)

HAPPY READING!

No comments: