Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Name That Poet #3

Here is a short contemporary poem. See if you recognize it. Then give us the poet and title if you can. And please check out the link below. Cara Power does a wonderful blog segment on poetry. This week's feature? Why "The Raven" narrated by Vincent Price, of course!

The fog comes
on little cat feet.

It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.


Congrats to Tina for guessing Carl Sandburg. And the title is "Fog"


FreeVerse

7 comments:

Cara Powers said...

I don't know the poet, but I just entered the link to you in my Wednesday poetry meme. Hope that's ok.

Unknown said...

I know the poem quite well. Presented it in high school in English class.

I'll leave the answer to someone else this week, though.

That should be little cat feet, by the way. Great poem.

Author and Reader said...

JW... Oops! I certainly did leave it out. All fixed, now. Thank you, JW. And I knew you would like it :-)

Tina said...

Carl Sandburg

And what about....

The yellow fog that rubs its back upon the window-panes
The yellow smoke that rubs its muzzle on the window-panes
Licked its tongue into the corners of the evening
Lingered upon the pools that stand in drains,
Let fall upon its back the soot that falls from chimneys,
Slipped by the terrace, made a sudden leap,
And seeing that it was a soft October night
Curled once about the house, and fell asleep.

Unknown said...

I don't know, but I love it and what it inspired.
Cheers!
C

Author and Reader said...

Cara...Why thank you! I have added a button along with my post. And I so enjoyed the visit to your poetry meme.

Author and Reader said...

Congrats to Tina for naming the poet, Carl Sanburg with his very short poem, "Fog"

Thank you, Tina. And to JW for being so generous to let someone else call it this time!