Sunday, February 8, 2009

Back to Business

Okay, now it's time to get back to those ideas that help make us better writers... I recently talked our principal into letting me launch a writers' club at our high school. Why we never had one to begin with puzzles me. I thought one of those energetic members of the language arts staff would have put that on the agenda, but no. I began to think back on my high school experience and how much fun our writers' club had been. So, I thought, we have a school newspaper, but why not expand that to include a club where besides news articles, fiction stories, poetry, any type of creative product can be shared and showcased? In any case, we began a couple of weeks ago. A decent turnout, a combination of poetry writers and short story writers, various genres, a wonderful mix of talent. I am inspired by the enthusiasm and dedication of those so young. And I am hoping when they look back on high school, they will think fondly about their writers' club experience.

How about you? Do you or did you belong to a writers' club in high school? Do or did you benefit? Highlights? Please share your thoughts. And if you have any suggestions, suggest away!

3 comments:

Every Photo Tells A Story said...

No, I never belonged to a writer's club. BUT, I think it's a fabulous idea, and, like you, I can't believe your school never had one. Good for you for starting one! And, perhaps some of your writer's can get involved with the newspaper, and vice versa. A mutual collaboration of some sort.
Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Well, we don't exactly have a writer's club, but I think it'll be great!

There's only this schoolpaper org in school, wherein I've been a member for two years until last year when I quit; I was not in writing section though.

But the Filipino club in our school is planning of establishing a counterpart of our English schoolpaper, and it's quite exciting. Too bad, our batch's already graduating; the preparations're supposed to be this academic year.

brainsnorts said...

you have received an award...

the rules are as follows:

first. pass the award to five others who you think deserve to be awarded.

second. state 10 facts about yourself.

and third. add a meaningful quotation.

there is an actual award, in the form of clipart, but it has a curse in it, and i don't want to pass that along without knowing that you're perfectly okay with that.